Friday, May 4, 2012

Japan's Sinking Airport, Coffee Shop, Sushi Bar, and Rokko Mountain

Jeju Air's flight to Kansai from Incheon took about an hour.The weather was good that day, so the entire journey was smooth. I noticed that most of the passengers were either Korean or Japanese, and I have this hunch that I was the only Filipino on board. All instructions inside the aircraft were in Korean/Japanese, so instead of paying attention to the safety demonstration I decided to sleep.


Kansai International Airport is an engineering marvel, a mega structure!  The entire place is situated in a man made island and   located about 50 kilometers from the center of Osaka. It is about 4 kms long and 2.5 kms wide. It is also known as "the Sinking Airport". In 2008 the sink rate was around 7 centimeters, as opposed to the sink rate in 1994 which was around 50 cms! But KIX will not completely sink into the ocean due to the hydraulic pillars which will keep the terminal steady. 

Aerial view of Kansai International Airport. It is connected to the mainland by a 3.4 kilometers bridge


Bridge, expressway, and train lines


Another view of the bridge to the mainland.

After the going through the immigration process which by the way took almost an hour due to the large volume of incoming tourists, I took JR Kansai Airport Rapid Service train to Osaka station.  The trip took around 65 minutes and from there I changed to Kobe line, and traveled for another 72 minutes before reaching Okubo station. From Okubo station I had a little walk and finally reached my destination... Ranka Coffee Shop.

Ranka Coffee Shop is owned by my Japanese friend Diana san. Like me, she is also into traveling. She visited Manila and Iloilo City, my hometown in 2010. She and her friend enjoyed the food in Iloilo City and they had a great time exploring Guimaras Island and of course the Mangoes there. 

I personally love the interior of Ranka. The red paint, the lighting, the wooden furniture, the paintings, and the interesting decorations gave a very nice ambiance. I also enjoyed the relaxing music being played there. Most of the decorations that you can find there are actually souvenirs from her travels. Pick one decoration and Diana san will gladly share her interesting stories.
On top of the counter are various souvenirs from her travels.




This coffee maker was from Holland. It will take around 8 hours before you get to enjoy your coffee

The sunset pic on the right of the  the image was from me. I took that photo in Boracay.

These chairs are really comfortable
Diana-san invited her friend who is an expert in calligraphy.  It was my first time to try it, and it was really difficult. 
the stick figure. hahaha

with my teacher Miyuki san... 
I met Diana san's friends.
with the very strong ajumma

with Diana san and her husband



with Diana san's husband.

Exterior of Ranka Coffee Shop



With Kamano-san..


Then we headed to the Revolving sushi bar for dinner.

Various kinds of sushi

Very interesting place. It was my first time!

I mostly chose raw fish... the taste was really good!
The plates are color coded... each color corresponds to a specific price
Shellfish sushi.. my favorite!
After dinner we headed to  Rokko mountain by car. It was really cold on top of the mountain so our stay on top of the mountain was brief. A quicker alternative is to ride the cable car. 
Spectacular view on top of Rokko san. On top one can see Osaka and Kobe area.

No comments:

Post a Comment