Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Pampered Dorm Life in Korea

I stayed in South Korea for about a year as an exchange and my stay there became very comfortable and enjoyable because of the school's dormitory. But before I go into that I would like to give a little information about my school.

The name of my university is Silla University, and it has sister relationship with about 67 schools from 15 countries. Every year there about 700 foreign students from all over the globe enrolled in Silla University. In the Philippines, Silla has sister relationship with  the University of the Philippines Diliman and Visayas, St. Lasalle University, University of Sto. Tomas, and University of Cebu. So in one class you actually get to see a mixture of different races. Silla  offers Masteral and Phd degrees, but in my case I did not take any subject related to my course (B.S. Public Health). My subjects were: Korean Women Studies, Korean Movies, Politics, Language, and Dance. In short, it was all about Korea.

My school is located on top of the mountain, like most schools in Korea. The place is surrounded with many trees, streams, and you get to see animal creatures which are non existent in tropical countries like the Philippines. You  smell fresh air everyday, and the whole place is conducive for learning. Silla was also awarded as one of the most beautiful schools in Korea. J

Late spring. This is the Engineering building.  

Late autumn. these are the cherry blossom trees shedding their leaves. 



Flowers about the bloom. Early spring. 


Baekyang Dormitoy. I stayed here for one year.

The newest dormitory. 

View of my school from  the CAS building

The Hwarang Building. During my free time I would usually stay here.
Winter time!
Hodgepodge of races in once class. From left to right. 3 Chinese girls, Polish, Japanese, and Jamaican

My Home in Korea


Baekyang Saeng Hual Gwan or the dormitory was my home in Korea. I love this place because it has all the facilities that you need. The place is so secure. You cannot enter this place if you do not have the card exclusive for the dormers. They can also monitor if it's you  or not because your profile appears on the monitor of the security personnel every time you use the card. Each room is also equip with a lock which uses a combination of numbers. In case of emergency each room also has a local telephone. 



Facilities inside the dormitory:
Laundry Room
Gym complete with all the equipment (my favorite)
Computer room
Photocopy area
Conference Room
Basketball court
Table tennis Room
Study area
Convenient store
Vending machines
Dining area


The main entrance of the dormitory. Picture taken during the open house

The dining area
This dormitory has 10 Floors... The elevator on the left is for floors with even numbers only and on the right if for the odd numbers only.
The hallway
Each floor has its own common area where one can watch TV. It is also a common practice among the dormers to order food outside and have it delivered. You are not allowed to drink alcoholic beverage in the dorm, but you can if you do it in private (do it inside your room and not in the common area)


My friends visiting my room during the open house

The room of my friend

At the dining area. 

Each room has a unique 4-6 digit combination.
View of the lock from the inside


This is my favorite area.. The gym room. We have 6 Treadmills! 

Complete gym equipment

The dumbbells





If you are lazy you can just stand here and use this machine.

There are two types of room in this dormitory. The 2 dormers per room and with own bathroom and the 4 in one and no bathroom inside the room.


To save space, the dorm uses double deck, the lower portion serves as your desk while the top area is where you sleep.
This is the study area inside the library. 

If you get hungry in the middle of the night, no need to worry because there are vending machines inside the dorm. You can buy a lot of food from milk, coffee, chocolates, etc. Maxwell house is my favorite..the best coffee ever.


The university map... the one at the 11'o clock position is the location of my dormitory.
Staying in the dormitory made my life so easier in Korea because everything that I needed was already there. But the best part of living in the dormitory is you get to meet people from different places. You  to learn and appreciate their culture. The important things that I learned about Korea was not because of the subjects of the that I took, but because of first hand experience and stories from my Korean roommates.


MY KOREAN ROOMMATES






 My Japanese Roommate

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog... keep-up the good work... May I share a blog about Tokyo at Roppongi Hills in https://stenote.blogspot.com/2018/04/tokyo-at-roppongi-hills.html
    Watch also the video in youtube https://youtu.be/ZVnukaMfBTg

    ReplyDelete